Sunday, April 2, 2017

Put Your Head on My Shoulder

This morning I was thinking about putting my head on someone's shoulder.  While dancing, it's a nice feeling to put my arms around someone's broad, strong shoulders as they draw me in close.  Muscles help.   Better yet, if the hard body sincerely cares about me when in the embrace.  In my case, this weekend, the big strong dude could care less about me-though he was hunky.  However, it gave me a moment to pause and consider the strong shoulders in my life.

I recently returned from a trip to California to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. I also attended the the funeral of my aunt Jean, who passed away at age 96.  I was surrounded by strong shoulders-my wonderful California family-mom, sister, brother, aunts, uncles, nephews, nieces and cousins,  They continue to stand firm as they shoulder whatever burdens placed upon their own shoulders.   Their faithful living and devotion inspire me.  My California family built my foundation.  And like any good Californian knows, you have to build a foundation that can survive an earthquake and still leave a building standing after a good shaking.  The foundation has to be firm, yet flexible.  It has to bend, yet not break.   It holds together, even in the face of tragedy.

One moment during my visit stands out regarding my brother's strong shoulders.  My brother is not very large of stature,but spiritually, he reminds me of the Book of Mormon characters in Arnold Friburg's paintings.  We were having a nice Sunday visit and I started to get a little emotional.  He got up, walked across the room and put his arms around me, hugged me and just let my cry on his shoulder.  No words were said, but I understood.  His firmness gave strength and filled me with love. I know he is truly interested in my welfare of my soul. It was much more than a "nice feeling."  It was a sacred moment.  I was surrounded by my steadfast family that is always there for me.

Though I'm the only O'Malley here in Utah county, I'm surrounded by 7 mountain peaks reminding me of my firm and steadfast California family. The mountain range almost encircles my little home as if it is embracing me with its' strong, firm, broad shoulders.  The mountains inspire me to stand strong and be firm in my faith.  And when I'm feeling a little shaky, it's okay to fall down on my knees and seek strength from the loving, strong arms of my Father while seeking a heavenly embrace.  As I pray in faith, I know He's not only interested but there is also great potential for a sacred moment of connection.





No comments:

Post a Comment