Sunday, February 25, 2024

Temple Souvenir

 

A couple of people yesterday asked if they could keep their laminated appointment cards as a souvenir from the Provo Temple.  I said "no" in line with our directive that no one was to take anything from the Provo temple for memorabilia.  I am not a rigid, letter of the law kind of gal, but I just couldn't do it.   I did not want them to remember their temple experience in the Provo temple with this cheap man-made item and man-made protocol for giving priority seating to those making appointments for temple service. That's just stupid.  My opinion, I know but you already have your memento if you're wearing your garments.  

As part of my calling as an assistant chapel coordinator, I collected these appointment cards from patrons before they entered the endowment room.  Some thought I was the great ticket taker and if they didn't have their "tile" with the right time listed they couldn't enter the room.  Many would apologize if they left their card somewhere.  One regular patron would always joke, "The dog ate it."  Some would look to me as if they had did something wrong if they didn't have one, as if they were being judged.  

I was looking at them, but not to judge but to visually greet them by making eye contact and smiling.  I saw so many people through the door! The spirit testified of the worth of each soul.  Like counting the Lord's sheep and treasuring each one, no matter their appearance.  I was also looking to see if they had any special needs. 

 As in all areas of the temple, workers are there to help, not judge.  If you forget words, we will help you remember.  If you need something, we will try to get it for you-headsets for translation of the endowment into your own language.  If you want to spend some special time with your family member receiving an ordinance, we'll take you up to have some quiet time together before everyone else arrives.  If you need to use the elevator, we'll help you find your way.  If you are cold, we will get a shawl or bring a bottle of water.  We'll show you to the restroom.  We'll make sure the tissue boxes are full so can use them if moved to tears.  Each detail is designed to improve patron experience.  

At first I was anxious about my calling within the temple since I appreciated the 30 minute rotations to various areas in the building including laundry, locker room, office, baptistry, initiatory, chapel, endowment room, veil, celestial room.  It made the 4-hour work shift go quickly and it did kind of make me feel like an angel flying up and down the stairs from one post to the next.  So the thought of standing still in the chapel for 4 hours seemed like torture. Provo is a standing temple-think sentinel angels don't sit down to take a break. Fortunately, my duties were focused on running around the temple trying to meet needs of patrons and that kept me alert. It was also one of the few posts in the temple where you could occasionally chat with fellow workers and patrons which met my need to socially connect. 

With my aging knees, I learned to fly around the temple using the elevator and hike around the flat circular corridors to accomplish my various tasks.  To myself, I referred to them as my incense burning duties. It wasn't so much about how small and insignificant each duty was, it was where I was serving-in the temple of our God.  It gave me an ample window into this aging temple, one that was literally falling off the mountain and would certainly not be standing when the Savior returns in the Millennium. Yet for an aging temple, it was infused with youthful vitality and color from the missionaries, young students and international patrons.  It was a busy, face paced temple requiring efficiency protocols. 

It's understandable how people wanted to take just about anything from the Provo temple before it was de-commissioned and demolished. The garage sale in me screams, "Well, it's going to be thrown out anyway, why not spread a little joy-let it be used for something different-even something to hold onto to remember this very special building?"

As I've walked the halls of this very unique building (my old bishop referred to it as the "Disco Spaceship Temple") I've had similar thoughts.  What are they going to do with all these beautiful items-crystal chandeliers, antique furniture, marble tiles, artwork, gilded mirrors, etc?  So many precious things.  In a trash heap?  I heard that the minute the Provo temple closed yesterday, crews came to strip the temple and put items locked up in the basement to prevent theft.  I know some of the items will be used in other temples but where is everything really going to end up?  Who will use them?  How will they be used?  So many precious things.  Destroyed perhaps. Transformed for sure. 

The more I think about it, it would probably be right and good, even best to destroy all these precious things and offer them in a huge sacrificial ceremonial fire. That way they would not fall into the hands of someone who did not understanding the nature and purpose of ritualistic worship.  These precious things are certainly not more precious than the life of our Savior.  All things in the temple point to the great and last sacrifice of the Father's beloved son, Jesus Christ.  Most covenant making is done before a symbolic sacrificial altar.  As President Barry stated yesterday, our covenants are not just transactional (we promise to do this and God promises that) but our covenants are transformational.  We are changed through our covenant making and keeping.  We are sanctified.  We become holy.

 I have been changed in my short service in the temple- even if it's only in an attitude that "No, you can't keep your appointment card as a souvenir."  


 





1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your writing. I did my last session there a week ago and as I sat in the endowment room I couldn't help but think, "Oh, my. Those huge drapes would make a ton of play clothes!" Remember The Sound of Music!!!

    ReplyDelete