Tuesday, July 28, 2015

I Can't FEEL My Face

This morning I was thinking about the song, "I Can't Feel my Face" and contrasting it with the song, "If You're Happy and You Know It."  The later song was referred to at a recent funeral for an elderly lady I had recently been assigned to as a visiting teacher. What a privilege it was to learn about this special lady at her funeral and see her loved ones honor her life. She was so full of life and feeling.  One of her passions was ballroom dancing.  Her grand-daughter shared her last bedside visit. As grandma lay there motionless, having stroked out, body half paralyzed, and comatose, she decided to gather round and sing to her with her children.  When they came to the part of the song, "If you're happy and you know it-stomp your feet"-grandma tapped her foot in the bed. Though grandma couldn't feel most of her body because of her brain damage,she was still trying to make connections with the people she loved by moving her feet. Grandma didn't face the end of her life alone; she was surrounded by her posterity who loved and trusted her. What a great feeling that must have been-a feeling I want for sure.  

So take the other song, "I Can't Feel my Face." Who on earth would on purpose want to feel numb in any area of your body-including your face?  Who would purposely seek paralysis and brain damage? I suppose if I'm in pain or will be facing great amounts of pain it's helpful not to feel anything.  I mean I wouldn't want to feel when the dentist is performing a root canal or a surgeon's blade cutting into me.  I guess it's understandable to find ways to numb yourself when I'm in emotional pain as well.  But come on-really?  I Can't Feel my Face-what kind of lyrics are these?  I first heard this song while traveling with students as they enthusiastically sang the chorus along with the radio. I knew it was a hit with it's catchy groove and Michael Jackson sounding vocals-but what questionable values was it teaching the kids?  I vowed to change it and use it as a tool not only for our dance club but for the school assembly and reinforce our monthly school value of "Trust."  It was my send up to Weeknd to challenge his brain damage glorifying lyrics and propose that making trusting connections with other human beings is where we find "love" and not have to face life's challenges (and pain) alone.  Here it is:  

It is difficult to get along with others all the time
for the ones I thought would care for me have left me far behind
So I've build a wall around me-won't let nobody inside
They can't know-but I know

She told me don't worry-it won't hurt
She told me don't worry no more
Cuz you know it's hard to love without trust
I don't have to face my life all a-lo-o-o-one (Whoo)

I have found some people I can trust-
And I love it, And I love it!  OH
I have found some people I can trust-
And I love it, And I love it!  OH

And I know that trusting works both ways-can others count on me
So I want to be right there for them and they'll depend on me
As we trust we feel much closer, bonding emotionally,
And I'll know-this I know

She told me don't worry about it
She told me don't worry no more
Now I know it's hard to love without trust
I don't have to face my life all a-lon-o-o-one  (Whoo)

I have found some people I can trust-
And I love it, And I love it!  OH
I have found some people I can trust-
And I love it, And I love it!  OH

(repeated like a million times)

 Now my song lyrics will probably not be remembered by anyone and Weeknd will probably be a millionaire next week as his catchy tune rockets to the top of the billboard chart. Yes, I'm sure cocaine feels amazing Weeknd, but maybe there is value in feeling something instead just numbing yourself. For instance-how about FEELING that amazing groove and dancing to the beat of your new song.

Dancing seems so simple yet many can't seem to feel the beat and move to it. It's funny to watch. I shouldn't be so judgmental, but I laugh inside even if a chorister can't find the beat also.  So in my new dance club for the students, that's where we started-just FEEL the beat and move to it.  Can you feel the beat? Feel your pulse?  It lets us know...we're alive.

Reminds me of a great old Christian rock song (with great lyrics) by Steven Curtis Chapman:

I am the heart, You are the heartbeat
I am the eyes, You are the sight
And I see clearly, I am just a body
You are the life
I move my feet, I go through the motions
But You give purpose to chance
I am the dancer
You are the Lord of the dance
I am the dancer
You are the Lord of the dance

I want to move my feet-even to my very last heartbeat.  But most of all, I want to FEEL.  I know I will feel pain but I don't have to "face" it alone. This willingness to feel my face opens up opportunities to feel JOY as well-even joy in my posterity...and I LOVE it...and I LOVE it.    














No comments:

Post a Comment