Sunday, August 16, 2015

Uptight and Congruent

This morning I was thinking about being congruent and less uptight.   I guess I've always been a little uptight for some reason or another but perhaps I haven't made the connection with how this influences beliefs about myself and my life. This week I had an opportunity to meet with my intern's mother who is an energy worker. She uses applied kinesiology among other treatment modalities for healing.  Whenever I would come into work with some ailment, I would joke around with my intern that I needed his mother to come spirit heal my knee, back, hip etc.  (I don't think I could get my wrinkles spirit healed out of me.)  Since we were having a going away party for my intern, I thought it was a great idea to have his mother come down and see her son's work environment as well as teach me a thing or two about energy work and how it could help my students.  As we tried to cram her vast knowledge into a brief 1/2 hour meeting, I found myself wishing I would have carved out more time to take advantage of this opportunity.  Nevertheless, she gave me a couple tools that I already knew something about such as EFT, Guided Imagery, Positive Affirmations, Aromatherapy, Music Therapy, Grounding Techniques-all having group applications. I appreciated her willingness to share.  There was one moment when I felt a little stupid and felt like I was being judged about my inability to "do things right."  It was a simple exercise-just look at the statement and say it in your mind, or out loud while placing feet on the floor and breathing.  The statement she thought might apply to me was about "having enough money and having money come easily to me."  She sat beside me and told me she would indicate when I could stop.  It was a little uncomfortable having someone beside me trying to observe my thoughts, yet I'm sure she was observing my body instead-which apparently never lies.  She told me I was pretty tense and was looking for a physical release indicating I wasn't resisting the thought.  So I just relaxed my body-and exhaled slowly and we stopped  the exercise. It was pretty contrived on my part-I can always pretend if I want to.  I don't think it was because I had accepted my ability to easily have the financial resources if I only believed.  I know my RT salary is not going to triple any time soon because of my new found belief that I have enough money and it comes easily.  Or I don't think an awesome belief is going to give me enough physical energy to explore other financial opportunities at the same time as putting my all into my mental health career.  I know these limiting beliefs affect my progression.

I guess it's not any different than what I was trying to point out to the students earlier this week while doing a high ropes course "Tarzan Swing" element.  I had them write down what they were going to tell themselves while climbing and then report on what happened and what they actually did think about.  There was one little girl who got so anxious and uptight that she barely took one step, cried and refused to try. She confessed that she didn't once think about what she had written. She could have done the task-I have no doubt that she was strong enough, coordinated enough etc.  There is one part of the the element where the kids have to let go of the ropes and fall. They have to trust that this "on belay" system will really catch them. Some cling to the rope and freak out.  Others are anxious to get down so they readily do whatever is necessary. I know belief affects performance.  I know visualization affects performance.  I know focusing on the goal affects performance.  So why don't I do it?   Why do I resist?  Why don't I accept these empowering ideas represented in positive affirmations?

Perhaps it's because the voice in my head calls out, "That's not true."  And if you say that to yourself-you're just lying."  Perhaps the state of having "enough money coming easily to me" could be achieved in the future-but it is definitely not now.   Now I'm all about truth, but if truth is knowledge of things as they were, are and yet to come-maybe this "not yet" paradigm needs to be examined.  What beliefs are really going to empower me?  I suppose this is why I added the additional verse to the Families Can Be Together forever song for my daughter's wedding present.  The "can be" lyric refers to the "possibility" of someday forever family whereas the "Families Are Forever" is more of an affirmation that can manifest reality.  The one sets me up for immediate judgment of where I'm currently at presently and even fear of the opposite-my family can NOT be forever-a seed of doubt.  I think the later sentiment (families are forever) propels me forward with confidence rather being so uptight that I don't even put my foot on the rung of the ladder. I need to relax, exhale, and believe-really believe in unlimited power to accomplish whatever God wants me to do.  I know I'm always "on belay" when it come to climbing up to the "Tarzan Ropes."  He has me.  He will not let me fall.  He knows I have the strength to accomplish the task.  He wouldn't ask me to climb if he didn't think I could do it. He knows if  I will  only believe that "He is" and that "I am" then I will let go of those limiting beliefs.  When I focus on his abilities and trust more completely, I will be more congruent and less uptight.


No comments:

Post a Comment