Monday, July 25, 2016

Mike Heritage?

This morning I was thinking about a Navajo woman I met last week with the last name of "Mike".  What the heck?  Wanting to learn more about the background of her very common name, I asked about her background.  Come to learn it was common practice for the U.S. Calvary to bequeath their first names such as Mike, Henry, George-whatever as surnames to individuals in her Navajo nation.  I was embarrassed and a bit outraged of yet another humiliation inflicted by the "white man" while attempting to strip these Native Americans of their national pride and heritage.  I suppose it could be seen as a way to pledge allegiance to a new nation and create a new identity, but Mike...come on- what kind of heritage is that? It just seems like your name should reflect where you came from and where you want to go, or more importantly, what you want to be.  We want to honor our names, respect our heritage and continue the legacy.

I treasure my last name O'Malley.  I love my dad.  I'm grateful for my genetics-the good characteristics, even some of the bad traits tie me to him and help me remember him.  While doing family history I give preferential  treatment to my ancestors bearing that surname or at least I seem to have more fervor learning about my Irish roots.  I don't have to be Native American to identify with the concept of "my people."  Summertime is a great season for family reunions and I continue to feel the power of gathering together with my people and feeling the strength and support stemming from family identity.

Today we conclude our celebration of Pioneer Day here in Utah.  It's a big deal.  People in Utah have all sorts of reasons to break out the fireworks.  The celebration is prolonged when it falls on a Sunday, making it "necessary" to celebrate the day before and after the Sabbath.  As part of this celebration I'm participating in a 5K Temple to Temple Run/Walk.  It's only fitting that we do some time of trek to honor our pioneers.  The little running bib says, "Today is dedicated to the memory of ...."  I wrote the name of my aunt who recently passed away after having her leg amputated. A couple of years ago, she expressed a desire for the temple work to be completed for her father even though she was not a member of the church.  I honor her today.  She is a modern day pioneer and I'm sure she's trekking with 2 good legs now.

Yesterday I had our choir "trek" around the picnic tables in the pavilion as we practiced our little pioneer song we're singing next week.  The lyrics are worth memorizing and internalizing.

"We left our home, to come to earth, we're working to pass the test.  We're learning of our true worth, with faith we'll do our best.  When Satan's winds will rattle, we will overcome.  We're trekking through life's battles and we won't stop till we've won.  We will endure to the end.  Our Heavenly Father will protect and blessing he will send, until we conquer this trek."

As I learn of my true worth, I rely on my Heavenly heritage.  No one can strip me of my true identity-where I came from-who I am.  It may be hidden but the genetic material is still there-waiting to be uncovered.  Pres. Uchtdorf stated in April conference:

"The fundamental divinity of our nature remains.  And the moment we choose to incline our heart to our beloved Savior, and set foot upon the path of discipleship, something miraculous happens.  The love of God fills our heart, the light of truth fills our minds, and we start to lose the desire to sin, and we do not want to walk any longer in darkness.  We come to see obedience not as a punishment but as a liberating path of our divine destiny.  And gradually, the corruption, dust, and limitations of this earth begin to fall away.  Eventually, the priceless, eternal spirit of the heavenly being within us is revealed, and the radiance of goodness become our nature. "

I'm grateful for the opportunity to take upon the name of Christ every week.  I'm grateful for covenant names associated with temple worship. These names are fitting of our heritage-much more glorious than any kind of "Mike" surname. 



No comments:

Post a Comment