Sunday, January 15, 2017

Acuity and Vision

This morning I was thinking about acuity and vision.  Perhaps it has something to do with my lack of sensory acuity-or being sharply aware of my surroundings.  It's not so much that I'm not aware that something is askew, but sometimes I purposely ignore little things to focus on what I consider to be weightier matters.  For instance, after disrobing and jumping into the tub, I noticed for the umpteenth time I had worn my sweater backwards all day at work.  In the morning I remember my neck being irritated by something (it was a tag) and noticing my neck line was unusually higher but I bounced out the door, oblivious to my cultural faux pas.  It made me laugh when I discovered it.  It brought to mind my mother's reports of my frequentchildhood practice of leaving for school with clothes on backwards and inside out.  Maybe that's why my first student council assignment in Jr. High was being in charge of "Mix and Un-match" Day (aka know as wear whatever crazy thing you'd like).

It was yet another reference to my lack of awareness of what I am doing in relationship to my surroundings. It got me thinking about why my acuity isn't as keen as others.  Maybe it has something to do with vision.  I still bear the psychic wound after taking a visual acuity test and being assessed as "legally blind" by the school nurse.  To this day, I still get nervous around eye charts and seeing what line I can read.  I know it's important.  I have to demonstrate my visual acuity to get behind the wheel of any vehicle.  Though I want to be in control, I  must be able to see what I'm doing and see what others are doing while driving.

At work, we deal with acuity.  We take some of the most acute kids in west-kids with complex diagnoses and severe behavioral issues.  So it's no surprise that some of these kids keep blindly bumping into each other because they lack insight into their own behaviors and their effect on others. They want to be in control, but they are totally out of control.   Treatment goals help address deficits, utilize strengths, but most of all provide vision of what to do now and where to go from here. I try to help them see and catch the clear vision of their bright, resilient and hopeful future.

Deciding where to go and what to do in 2017 is on most people's minds in January.  With the forces of fate swirling around, I want to feel I have a vision and some control in bringing it to pass..  One of my little mantras as I leave the house each day is, "Let's see what I can do."  I want to be the master of my destiny or at least have some say in what happens each day. I want to be in the driver's seat with my hand on the wheel.

I find it curious how on the Brother of Jared's journey to the promised land, the question about steering of the vessels was never really answered.  Yes, arrangements were made for survival-they would have air.  Yes, they would have light, but in regards for control-it was the winds and the waves propelling the ship forward.  It was trusting in the Lord's mercy to protect them from the elements and creatures of the sea.   It was a "Jesus take the Wheel Moment"  Instead of panicking about their lack of control or motion sickness because they couldn't see out of their non-existent windows they sang praises to the Lord of Light.  They weren't oblivious to their surroundings or circumstances;   they knew where they were going and how they were going to get there.

I may have sub-par acuity, but I have great vision.  I know where I want to go, I know how to get there, and I know what I'm doing.  More than anything, I also believe my vision fits within a much broader, comprehensive vision of God's plan for our happiness and my role in that plan.  I have work to do-and it's important work, or at least I feel it's important to Him.  It's a vision that includes the weightier matters.  I want to catch the vision of God's glorious work and the bright, clear, hopeful future.

1 comment: