Sunday, April 12, 2020

NAILED IT!

This morning I was thinking about the phrase "Nailed It" as it relates to judgment, more specifically the resurrection and final judgment.

This week I had the privilege helping my daughter with her new baby as well as giving special attention to her older toddler son.  After the babes were sleeping, she introduced me to a baking contest show called, "Nailed It."  I had never seen this humorous spoof on baking competitions as a master baker challenged each contestant to create a ridiculously ambitious pastry, cookie or cake.  These contestants had no formal training experience, or competence but liked to bake or were at least willing to follow basic instructions outlined by the show.  Perhaps the most impressive quality each contestant possessed was their ability to keep trying through this unique challenge.  Also impressive was their strict adherence to time constraints while covering their work without complaining.  Finally, each contestant one by one exclaimed, "NAILED IT!' as they enthusiastically revealed their creation. The real humor lay in the side by side comparison of what they were suppose to create and what they actually did create.  Hilarious!!!

 I'm sure it helps to have the show facilitated by a comedian.  I appreciated each of the three judges ability to focus on the positive even though the results were often disastrous and deserving of the harshest criticism. That cake sucks man. You did a horrible job.  You call that a cake? I admit, sometimes, they do spit the cake out but on the whole, it is a warm-hearted show that celebrates effort and sheds a fresh perspective on the concept of final judgment. The contestants enthusiastically sign up for the privilege of being judged according to their works.  I'm sure they are also motivated by the attention received as well as the 10K for the winner.  It's a legit prize for their best efforts.

It made me think of my best efforts to create: My body of work as a writer and composer...NAILED IT!  My efforts raising my 5 children..NAILED IT!    My work as a Recreational Therapist...NAILED IT!.   My discipleship as a follower of Jesus Christ...NAILED IT!  My very life and my works...NAILED IT!  Yes it's laughable, especially compared to the work of the masters all around me in each of these areas-especially compared to THE Master.  I'm hoping he has a good sense of humor.  More importantly, I hope he will be able to overlook the glaring deficiencies with great mercy and find the good...something...anything recognizing my best efforts.

Oh, and there will be rewards for all contestants!  Much more than a measly 10K.  How about an incorruptible body anyone?  Talk about a body of work!  Or should I say, a body that always works!
A body that will be raised up so I and and have the privilege of being judged.  Yes the privilege of being judged. 

At times I don't think judgment is a privilege at all.  Competitions, comparisons, tests, evaluations, reviews, resumes, interviews, observation, feedback and criticism-all forms of judgement.  Even discerning between good and evil and making a sound choice...all forms of judgement.  Adam and Eve's choice put the nail in the coffin  for the whole human race...We all die.  That is the first judgement according to Jacob.  "Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement—save it should be an infinite atonement this corruption could not put on incorruption. Wherefore, the first judgment which came upon man must needs have remained to an endless duration. And if so, this flesh must have laid down to rot and to crumble to its mother earth, to rise no more." (2 Nephi 9:7).  We're all destined for dust.... or cake mix.  

However, I think of the Master Baker, the Lord of All Creation, who truly nailed it-for real-joking set aside.   The nails driven through his hands and wrists culminating his great suffering for us.  His humble submission and admission for his best efforts..."It is finished."   All this..so I will be raised up with an incorruptible body and brought before God to have the privilege of being judged with justice and mercy.  Happy Easter to all!

15 And it shall come to pass that when all men shall have passed from this first death unto life, insomuch as they have become immortal, they must appear before the judgment-seat of the Holy One of Israel; and then cometh the judgment, and then must they be judged according to the holy judgment of God.
22 And he suffereth this that the resurrection might pass upon all men, that all might stand before him at the great and judgment day. (2 Nephi 9: 15-16)







No comments:

Post a Comment