Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Trying to Fit In with the Cool Kids

This morning I was thinking about my recent efforts to fit in.  As a knee jerk reaction from my reject letter from the TAB choir, I accepted an invitation to go on a week long Lake Powell houseboat vacation, basically with a bunch of strangers.  I tried to approach a potentially uncomfortable situation with a  positive attitude; after all, I am a River Rat and Lake Powell is THE BEST place for waterskiing.

Once there, I was surrounded by some of the coolest grandmas on the planet.  Grandmas that wake surf and water-ski with a high degree of athleticism and panache.  They look hot in their swimsuit, are full of fun and humor, whose motto when approaching the whole singles world is "just be." Combine that with their highly personable and attractive young adult children and you get one very desirable group of truly "cool kids." 

My dad was cool- Colorado River water-skiing cool- and not just because he could do a jump start off the dock with a cigarette in his mouth, beer can in his hand, and Chicano hard hat on his head.  He just had a way.  Water-skiing and driving a ski boat still connect me with my dad. I loved making my daddy proud of his "hot-dog water-skier" baby girl.  I wanted to be "cool" like him-like my brother.  I wanted to be cool like these hot skiing grandmas.  Like a teenager, I sometimes get a rush when hanging out with the "cool kids" or the highly desirable ones.  I guess it makes me feel if I hang out with them long enough, maybe I'll belong.  Maybe I'll be cool too. 

Last week I loved being included in the early morning serious water-skiing group. Of course that meant I had to prove myself and deal with the accompanying performance anxiety.  But I exhaled and HIT IT, relying on the Clincher gloves to get me up, cutting hard on the fancy competition ski, and smiling while enjoying Lake Powell glass. 

It's interesting how one compliment can make a whole trip.  In passing, one lady referred to me as a fellow athlete.  Another lady said I was a phenomenal skier.  All of a sudden, I felt like I fit in.  I was cool, even if it was only for a mili-second.  Coolness evaporates so quickly-just ask my kids.

I suppose "cool" isn't a requirement for the celestial kingdom.  However, it is a social structure based on personal character. It's filled with people who think, act, and feel similarly about the Lord.  People who are not only trying to be more like the Father, but who are trying to FIT IN with the great and noble ones.  I want to belong and be one of the "cool kids" forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment