Saturday, December 5, 2015

Random Shiz

This morning I was thinking about all the random shiz I bought last week for my children.  I say "random" because everything I purchased is nothing they asked for or even want.  I think they are good gifts.  I have dubbed this Christmas the year of "random shiz"; this is the way it will be this year.  My baby son (19) doesn't believe me.  He says  I say every year how I don't have any money and how it will be a horrible Christmas- but it never is; somehow I'm able to get each child something they really want or something they really need.  As a parent, it's what I strive for-that Christmas morning reaction when a child's face lights up because they got the present they wanted.  Another family tradition is placing a gift under the tree with a baby Jesus figurine to symbolize the gift we all really want-the gift we really need-given from a loving Heavenly Father.   I'm sure I'll place the baby Jesus under the tree again but the awesome eye popping, heart thumping, "perfect" Christmas gift will not be there.  Not this year.

I'm really not trying to be heartless or inconsiderate.  It's just that I've already spent Christmas on bills-a monthly payment for my daughter's wedding and a bounced tithing check back in April (I have to make good on that for tithing settlement.)  The money is gone.  I guess I don't want to be left empty handed on the most heralded day of giving-Christmas Day; so I bought a bunch of cheap crap and a big family gift to put under the tree.  I will be assigning symbolic meaning to the gifts that may increase their value- my children are use to that.  It's what I CAN do.  Gifts are fun!   For the first time in my mommy life, I'm completely done shopping for my children and it's only December 5th.   Awesome! It will be great and hopefully a Christmas to remember-even if they just remember it as the Christmas of random shiz raining down on them.

Last week while substituting as primary chorister,  I wanted to emphasize the concept of God's good gifts raining down on all of us,  each and everyday.  I used fall leaves like confetti and had the children gather them up while we were singing.  In preparation, I gathered my own fall leaves on Thanksgiving morning and stuffed them in a large garbage sack.  During singing time, I slung the bag over my shoulder to remind them of Santa Claus and his bag of gifts.  I really do think there is a powerful connection between the gathering leaves of Thanksgiving and the freely given gifts of Christmas. 

I'm not much into raking leaves or shoveling snow; it is one of the perks of lazy condo life.  I remember my days of endlessly raking up leaves from the largest, messiest tree on Brookshire Circle (the city eventually cut it down) It was no fun and required many hours of hard work.  Gathering leaves, or noticing the good in ourselves, in others, in the world around us also requires an expenditure of effort.  It takes time to notice, write down, and thank God for these blessings each day. However, the more I do it, the more abundant I feel- to the point of seeing leaves rain down on a windy fall day and thinking of God's blessing being given in similar fashion.  Beautiful falling leaves are inspiring. It is like the words of an obscure primary song, "Autumn Day, Autumn Day. God gives richest gifts today.  Look on every side and see-pleasant things for you and me."

His gifts really do rain down and in many cases go unnoticed, unappreciated, devalued, or thrown out in the garbage in a big leaf bag.  Who wants a leaf?  That's so random.  It's not what I asked for.   Didn't you get my wish list? My prayers seem unanswered.  Yet, if I look around and see his daily good gifts, I may find in all my random blessings an answer to a prayer-a blessing that I really need-maybe even something I really want.  Afterall sometimes I don't even know what I really want or need.  His daily gifts might not get that Christmas light up reaction in my face, but he keeps sending them my way-hoping I'll notice his "richest gifts."  I know they key to Christmas this year, is increasing my gratitude and love for what he has already given.  His gift that truly did come down from Heaven, "God so loved the world-that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life." Though many of God's children do not notice, accept, or value this sentiment, I do not want to view this gift of all gifts as "random shiz." 

No comments:

Post a Comment