Monday, August 25, 2014

Simple Choices

This morning I was thinking about Elsie Dee's upcoming funeral. Her sister wanted to make sure the congregation sings the hymn "Each Life that Touches Ours for Good."  Though I did not really know Elsie Dee, her life and our very limited relationship matters to me. I say limited because when I came on the scene as one of her visiting teachers, Elsie Dee could not even acknowledge my presence.  Sometimes she opened her eyes.  Sometimes she uttered a unintelligible word.   Sometimes she moaned.  Not much 2-way communication...well none.  We spent most of our time visiting her caregiver, Jackie. I learned that Elsie Dee's efforts to stay alive- by continuing consciousness and eating were done in service for Jackie to keep her employed. She was serving with her very limited resources-simple goals, simple lives.

Jackie's choices have also influenced me for good.  Jackie is my age. Her life has been anything but glamorous- offering 24 hour bedside care for the last 2 years- I know she worked several years before that assisting Elsie Dee stay in her own home instead of a  nursing care facility.  Jackie rarely got out to do anything for herself.  Though as visiting teachers we are supposed to care for her needs, she is the one who gave me a birthday present and offered to take me out to a restaurant.  At that time I learned she began working at age 5 while living in the Philippines.  Her father held a gun to her head.  Her mother got mad at her for going to the city for one night to have some fun with friend.  Basically she was like a family slave.  To this day, she is considered the rich one in her family as they hit her up for money-and she gives, and gives, and gives.  She shared many details about her hard working life and expectations for her future.  She would like to work in America for another 10 years and then retire in the Philippines.  She dreams of having a garden, living in her own place, and resting.  It doesn't take a lot to please Jackie. Simple goals, Simple life. 

Jackie hasn't ever asked me for anything, except last week.  She requested I sing the same song I sung to her previously, "My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Me" to Elsie Dee during our upcoming visit.  Her simple request came while I was at work thinking about personal issues, demands and questions. Last week I made several big decisions while trying to juggle my regular work; I accepted a modified home loan lowering my payments.  I quit my early morning job.  I went to St. George to get my son started for his freshman year in college.  I chose to have our choir an rhythmically complex arrangement for ward conference.  Instead of simplicity, I seem to create complexity. Jackie's phone call and my opportunity to sing brought perspective and focus.  It's easy to compare my own situation to theirs- I'm not dying.  I'm not a caregiver slave.  Yet,  rather than solely comparing their circumstances to my circumstances,  I focused on their choices.   As such, I was inspired.  I was humbled.  I was empowered by their example of purity and simplicity. 

I unknowingly prepared to sing as I memorized the words while driving to work -which was a good thing since I had to close my eyes the whole time. The moment was so raw-I couldn't look at Elsie Dee without crying-and I wanted to sing my best-not have an emotional experience.  Here I was, in the room alone with this woman I knew was going to die any moment. I wanted to give her something even if it was just a little part of me. Even though I did not know her personally, I had a very personal message to share.  As with most service, the person who got the most out of our little exchange was me.  The Spirit gave me my own personal message.  It was a privilege for me to be in the presence of these 2 great ladies.  Their choices influence my choices- to live simply and make simple choices-to touch each others' lives for good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment