Sunday, August 31, 2014

Stepping Stones/Support

This morning I was thinking about our recent hike to Delicate Arch in Arches National Park. It's a difficult hike for my students, but once they climb the big sandstone/mountain I pretty much know they will all make it.  Most of the trail is outlined well but once you get to the big stone it tends to become a free-for all, even though there are cairns (piles of stone) to guide the way.  Instead of a narrow pathway,  there is a broad rock face offering multiple options leading to the top. My students huff and puff and complain but once we reach the top of the stone mountain, the rest of the trail is much easier and defined.  Though Delicate Arch is the destination, it could not be reached without the help and support offered by this large sandstone mountain.  In contrast to the delicate, fragile beauty of the arch it stands firm and strong as thousands of visitors trample across it each year.   No one whips out their camera to take pictures of this rock like they do at Delicate Arch.  They might snap a picture of the view, but never at the ground.  Why would they? It's just a rock beneath the feet- a stepping stone to get where you really want to go.

I can relate to that sandstone rock.  Last weekend I dropped my son off at college.  He didn't really want me to go to "support" him.  However, I knew he needed me for the first payment on his dorm and food and get him settled in.  Though he is on scholarship and will be receiving financial aid, I needed to offer bridge monies as well as emotionally hold his hand as he started a new phase in his life.  Most of my children know that their mother doesn't have the funds to really offer financial support-but I do what I can and sometimes more than I should.  As parents we try so hard to support our children-we want to be that bridge to help them on their way.  We want to "be there" for them every step of the way.

So as I was feeling all "parental" in this significant "drop my baby off to college" moment, I became UBER-FRUSTRATED when my son decided to "go his own way" instead of doing what I wanted him to do. To explain, I just wanted him to go to his dorm, get his swimsuit,  drive over to the gas station to fill up HIS tank,  and then spend the next hour at a fancy condo (generously provided by a neighbor) with his family to say goodbye.  I didn't really think I was asking too much-especially since it was ALL FOR HIM.  But NO, he wanted me to give him the gas card, have us "drop him a pin" and mosey on over when he felt like it.  I guess in the back of my mind I figured since I had just dropped a thousand dollars in his behalf, that he might show some modicum of consideration for the emotional needs of his mother and sister.  I felt ignored and stepped on-like the big stone.  But then again, the stone doesn't ask for anything in return- it just keeps offering support and challenges us to make our own way and climb.

I suppose Heavenly Father feels stepped on all the time.  Here he offers continual support- our every breath, our every heartbeat etc. etc- and we just take him for granted and go about our business as usual-walking our own way, not even noticing the daily stepping stones provided to help us go where we want to go.  I am so glad he gives us a window to see into his own parenting issues.  He is THE ROCK- My stone of support.  My firm foundation.  If  I build on it, or in this case, climb on it-  He will show me the way.  I can choose to not only receive his support with gratitude but actually do what he wants me to do and follow the trail markers to reach my desired destination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment